Sunday, October 17, 2010

Weekend Review

October 16, 2010

I did my final LSD prior to KOTR last Saturday and that was one hell of a run!

Met up with Jerry (a dailymile friend) at SM Bicutan around 5:15 AM. I'm not in good shape. The week was so busy that I didn't have the chance to do short runs or exercise even. The 5-day untrained legs already felt shin splints creeping when I reached kilometer 4. This is going to be tough. I had to slow down and let Jerry do his thing alone for the meantime. My shins were really feeling bad. I must take some walking breaks every 5 minutes. That went on until we reached Villamor-Sales bridge.

We started running again when we entered Fort Bonifacio and miraculously the shin splints were gone. Still, pacing is bad. Can't keep up. Must maintain a slower pace and run-walk strategies to survive this LSD.

We finally arrived in BHS and did two rounds before heading back. We decided to pass by McKinley to hydrate and check out the place and the 'hills.' After walking a couple meters down, we decided to run up the hill. This is it! I just couldn't lift my legs anymore midway the hill. Whew!!! Felt my hamstrings really working hard. I think I should do that again as part of training to strengthen my lower extremities and prepare them for more challenging runs in the future.

I admit, going back was harder. Thank God for the cold weather. It somehow helped me to continue on pushing and finish the run.

Upon reaching our 21st kilometer, I really decided to walk. My legs were too numb at this point. They're really heavy. Walking was difficult too.

I miss the leg pains, how it feels to be sore after running. Because when you do run 3-4 times a week, you really don't feel the pain anymore. And feeling it again is exhilarating.

October 17, 2010

Rode my bike as a recovery from Saturday's long run. It really did help a lot to lessen the leg soreness apart from compression.

The long wait is over. Here I come Pikermi!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment