Sunday, October 10, 2010

Weekend Review

Last Saturday I participated in our village's fund raising run. Woke up late but still managed to arrive at exactly 5AM in the gym. Apparently there was no sign of a race to be held there. I thought of running on my own now and after 3 kilometers, I saw the organizers gathering outside the gym. I decided to stop and asked if the event is still on and they said yes. After some briefing and lots of waiting, the race started at 6:05 AM (it should be 5AM). The sun was a little too harsh that day and showed his face that early.

They said it was a 3-K run, but based on the route (and my research) it would be around 5K. Even my new friend, Jenny, a regular runner in our village confirmed of the distance.

Only around 40 participated. Most of them walked the route and couldn't keep up. To my estimate, only 15 ran. I finished 7th.

The top 3 guys were really fast. They finished the race at 13 mins, 15 mins, and 17 mins. I thought of how age can really affect your performance. These guys, by the way, were at their early teenage years.

I was happy to be running for the benefit of our Youth Council and looking forward for similar events. The priest who organized the race also asked for our assistance next time. That's probably an opening event for the simbang gabi this December.

Also, I feel like I'm having a flu. I have this sore throat, runny nose, and slight fever. Not this time, not during KOTR! Please!

2 comments:

  1. hope you are getting better… sore throat is not a lot of fun its just uncomfortable and difficult to swallow.

    usually, i would take the Nim Jiom Cough Syrup (www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm ) which has a thick consistency formulation. it coats the throat and includes herbs that are particularly good for that application.

    i hope it works on you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jane,

    Thanks for the advise. Will try to look for it.

    The hard part of it now is that I'm starting to have this bad dry cough and scratchy throat.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete