Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Hibernation



It's been a while since I last written anything here... I got quite busy at work, nothing really entered my mind but to run after work and train. Yes, I'm still running. My DM (Dailymile) account can prove it.

I'm training for 21K and I still have less than 2 months to prepare. My Sundays are always my "race" day so to speak. I'm not in a race event, but I treat that day as my longest and most challenging distance. My longest so far is 12++ kilometers and I'm targeting 15K this Sunday, then 17 on the next, until I can steadily do a 21K a week or 2 before the race itself.

I take advantage of the training to release the stresses I've met during the day and meditating, seeing inside myself, and gaining strength again to face another day. I also target a weekly distance goal. I started with 32K, then 40K last week, this week 42-44K.

Some experiences during the Training:

I accidentally stepped on a stone and somewhat twisted my ankle. It wasn't that bad, it didn't hurt either. But pain started to manifest days after. But I can still run without limping. The limp occurs once I rest. Hope I'm not overdoing it. Next would be, I feel my toes are hurting. It's like I'm gonna have dead toenails. My legs doesn't hurt anymore after I run. They recover faster now. My quads and calves are more defined now (I think). Got better pacing this time.

My goal for now is not to run fast for my first 21K. I just like to have a strong finish, a decent finish time, and most of all enjoy the race. I may not be fast but I know I will be in the future.

What do I miss?

The various Saturday and Sunday races. I miss the adrenalin on the starting line, hearing the drums when you're near the finish line, the finish line itself, when you eat breakfast/lunch after the race, the pictures, etc.

What I'm enjoying now?

The training itself, freedom from smoking (2 months baby!), that I'm having better running endurance, I can run farther, my DM, FB, and Twitter accounts. Got new DM friends: some I know, some I don't, some Filipinos, some foreigners, some are runners, some are doing duathlons, some are triathletes. We keep ourselves updated and we encourage eachother to go and be better every day.

That's about it. Hope to write more often starting today. Keep on running guys!

9 comments:

  1. yeahhhhH! sir, if i may suggest you run only 12K 1 week before the 21K race for fresher legs. the longest run should be done 2 weeks before the race day (16-18k). when i did my 1st 21K, the longest run i had was only 16K (2 weeks before the race). thankfully, my 1st 21K is my best now until now. maybe because of the fresh legs and enough time for recovery after LSDs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rainier. Good post. I usually try to do my last long workout 10-14 days before a 21K or 42K. As James says, you want the legs fresh for the event. Like a number of runners in the Phils, you're an inspiration.

    Thank you for the message on DM earlier. Looking forward to meeting you in November. Please take care and keep on running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys for the suggestions! I really need them. :D Perhaps I'm quite (or too) nervous for my first 21K. Hehehe. I will surely make room for fresh legs 1-2 weeks prior to the race. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey. sup man? good to know that you are now preparing for half marathon. nice. my gf is preparing for it also(this october running festival). when will you do your first half mary?

    anyway, we're doing a 16k lsd this sunday(sept5). details from takbo.net

    see you around

    ReplyDelete
  5. One or two weeks of no running is really the way to go, not just for your first half marathon, but for any FIRST run -- from your first 10k, to your first 21k, 42k and even your first ultramarathon! Woohoo! I am sure you have what it takes to make it to the ultramarathon level!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @fitfastandstrong - October 24, 2010, KOTR is going to be my first 21K. Thanks dude.

    @midnightrunner - well, I'm also looking at ultramarathon in the future. but thinking about it makes me feel jittery and nervous. LOL. well, who knows. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw your blog from FFS' site. I can feel the same excitement as I'm doing my HM debut as well, almost at the same time as yours. Good luck on your pikermi! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. 21k! Gahd. I could barely do 1k. Hahaha. Good luck!

    Fickle Cattle
    http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. To runningconfessions and Fickle Cattle:

    Thank you for reading my blog.

    runningconfessions, Goodluck on your first Pikermi! I've never been this excited. :D

    Fickle Cattle, I couldn't run even a kilometer when I first attempted to run. But look, after a year and a half, I'm doing 21K. :D

    ReplyDelete